Thursday, April 7, 2011

long stage

Well, I have survived the long stage - 82k in a bit over 16hrs I think. VERY happy. Yesterday was hot - 45 according to the staff here, so I took it easy for the first half until the sun went down. Then of course you have to take it easy because it is dark and you have already done 50k. The course was hard, with a mamoth climb, dunes and a massive dired up lake (which wasnice). The dunes were close to a villiage and when it got dark kids stole the glo-sticks marking the course so loads of people got lost. Luckily a local guided me to the CP. It is all good tho- I feel fine and only have 1 blister still from day 1. Today we are laid up in the tent (which is HOT) watching to see just how close to the bivouac people will pee and crap. I guarantee it is closer than you think! Clothes are also interesting... nothing but undies and anti-chafeing tape seems to be popular. There are also loads of blue plastic booties for people with open blisters.
Marathon stage 2morrow! i x

Hi everyone! Just got my emails for the past 2 days... thanks so much 4 the messages and birthday wishes! Today (for you) will probably be the last day you can email me via the race, so after that I will be back on ine_kuiper@hotmail.com. Today was very hot and I thnk tomorrow will be the same. The marathon course looks very tough which equals slow. Today we have had much fun watching people strip naked to wash themselves, like 5m from their tent. Unbelievable. On stage 3 I discovered that my tent-mate Ricky, was carrying his own tent!! We have persuaded him to drop it so his pack is now 1.5kg lighter. He thought it would come in handy if caught in a sandstorm. He only carried it for 110km :) my tent crew is great but as I am the only aussie they keep making fun of my accent- as if I have one! Next update after tomorrow's stage. thanks again, ine xxx

1 comment:

  1. Nice One Ine - Bloody Marvellous. Enjoy the rest of the event it is nearly over now. As I write this just the 17km stage left - soak it in - you deserve it.

    ReplyDelete