Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Post-race festivities

Well, my 2 days in Ouarzazate were great before flying home. Proper food. Clean. Beds. A selection of clothing. What bliss!

On Saturday night I met up with the ‘crew’ for dinner, and then second dinner (like a hobbit) and then off to bed at a reasonable time.

On Sunday we had a leisurely breakfast, followed by a walk down to the hotel where the MdS Boutique was set up to shop and pick up my FINISHERS t-shirt and for the awards ceremony. Most of my buddies had to stop off at the Doc Trotters clinic to have their feet tended to again :)

The awards ceremony was fun, if mostly in French. After the ceremony, somehow was honoured to be invited back to Touda Didi’s home (2 x womens winner) for lunch. It was great – the Moroccan boys were there – Mohamad and Lahcen Ahansal, Samir and Lhoucine Akhdar and Rachid Elmorabity(this year’s winner). Touda Didi of course, as well as some Frenchies including Laurence Klein (this year’s womens winner) and Damien Vierdet (4th place). Jay-B was there (so I had at least one person to talk to in English) and we all enjoyed homemade Tagine and Couscous. Sooooo good.

Afterwards Samir took me shopping for my new, genuine, all-the-way-from-the-Ouarzazate-market Tagine, where we met up with some of my tent-mates and Samir provided a great haggling service for all our shopping needs.

Later that night we headed to the local Discotheque where we danced all night and only just made the bus to the airport in the morning! The disco is amazing - filled with runners and all their war wounds, race officials as well as a smattering of tourists, wondering who all the strange people are, dancing around on bandaged feet.

As usual, for me, the best part of any trip is experiencing the local culture, so my friendship with the Moroccans plays a big part in my highlights.

No comments:

Post a Comment